[GreenYes] Question on Burning Value of Food Waste

According to the 1978 version of Combustion and Incineration Processes by
Walter R. Niessen, the Higher Heat Values (HHV) of  food related materials
are given in kilocalories per kilogram in an as-received basis as:

	Vegetable Food Waste		    997
	Mixed Garbage I			1,317

To convert to BTUs/lb, multiply the above numbers by 1.8.

To convert to Lower Heat Values, take the HHV minus 10,520 kcal per kg mole
of water in the material. It is my understanding that the LHV is the net
energy values after the water is evaporated. The moisture level of the
Vegetable Food Waste is given as 78%, while for Mixed Garbage I, it is given
as 72%.

I hope this helps.

John Reindl
Dane County