[GreenYes] Coffee Grounds looking for Places to be Recycled
For the past year or so, Gail at Peet's Coffee in Berkeley has been researching ways to recycle tons of coffee grounds from a few of Peet's Bay Area stores. Today she told me that 7 stores create 5 tons of grounds per week. Currently 2 tons per week are being composted. I didn't note where they are being composted. I think she said the composting is being done in plastic tubes that have air flowing through them (plastic tubes worry me a bit for obvious reasons). Then there is at least one vineyard experimenting with grounds and it has had favorable reports so far.

5 tons x 52 weeks = 260 tons (or 520,000 pounds) per year. This is only from 7 of Peet's outlets.

Please suggest locations for recycling and give names of contacts.

Gail Greenlee doesn't have web access. Contact her at the original Peet's in Berkeley at 2124 Vine St. 510-841-0564. Or you can email me. I go by there each day.

Paul Goettlich
PO Box 517
Berkeley  CA 94701

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as much as you please."
Mark Twain, 1835-1910