[GreenYes] Gale Norton received approval
Gale Norton received approval from the U.S. Senate Energy and
Natural Resources Committee.  Next she will go for the full vote
of the Senate.

I've called my Senator, Dianne Feinstein office in San Francisco to
find out when the full vote will occur but they do not know.  It was
expected yesterday.

Ann Schneider

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
January 24, 2001

CONTACT:
David Willett, 202-675-6698

NORTON'S HEARINGS DON'T NEGATE LIFETIME
OPPOSING ENVIRONMENTAL LAWS

Sierra Club Praises Sens. Schumer, Wyden for
Voting to Protect America's Public Lands

Washington, DC -- The Sierra Club today expressed
disappointment that the U.S. Senate Energy and
Natural Resources Committee voted to confirm Gale
Norton as Secretary of the Interior, but praised
Senators Charles Schumer (D-NY) and Ron Wyden
(D-OR) for opposing her nomination.

Under tough questioning by Schumer, Wyden and
other Senators, Norton disavowed some of her
extremist positions, but the Sierra Club continues
to believe Norton will not be an adequate steward
of America's public lands and urges the full Senate
to reject her nomination.

"Two days of hearings cannot negate the decades
Norton's worked to undermine environmental
protections," said Carl Pope, executive director
of the Sierra Club.

"After a career spent trying to dismantle laws
protecting our National Parks, streams and
wildlife, we're skeptical about Norton's sudden
u-turn on these issues," Pope said. "Senators
extracted from Norton a pledge to uphold the laws
safeguarding our public lands, but we believe a
lifetime of actions speak louder than two days of words.
Norton has worked for decades as a lobbyist and lawyer
for extractive and polluting industries."

Pope added: "We understand that deference is paid
to a President's nominations, but Senators also have
a duty to withhold their consent when a pick espouses
views far from those held by mainstream Americans. We
applaud Senators Schumer and Wyden for saying no
to Norton's extremism."

Through local press conferences in over a dozen
states, email campaigns, phonebanks, volunteer
mobilizing, radio and television advertising, and
other grassroots actions, the Sierra Club has
educated Americans about Gale Norton's
anti-environmental extremist positions and raised
serious questions about her qualifications for Interior
Secretary.