[GreenYes] Re: Recycle Offset Credits?

Title: [GreenYes] Re: Recycle Offset Credits?

Hello,

I agree with Curt.

A major flaw in our economic system is that most of the time it
ignores or worse yet perversely rewards those who consume and
pollute.

Recycling Offset Credits are a step in the other direction towards
integrating economy and environment and rewarding recycling efforts
that achieve success. In essence, they make recycling part a positive
part of the economic system.

As with any scheme, there will be problems. Some people will game the
system. In certain situations perverse, unintended consequences will
occur. But overall, it's a good idea and I commend Paul Roszel and
Recyclenet for setting the trading system up.

Some outcomes of Recycling Offset Credits.

1. It will generate funding for good projects that otherwise would not
likely be doable.

2. And I think one of the consequences of having a system like this in
place is that we are more likely to achieve efficiencies in recycling.
In a sense, it permits and encourages us to take advantage of the low-
hanging fruit, and pick them first, before spending time/effort/energy/
resources on more difficult savings.

3. It raises awareness of the value of recycling in offsetting GHG's.

However, I think in future the whole idea of Carbon Credits and GHG's
is going to be overtaken by the shortage of energy, and in the long
term we will probably achieve reductions in GHG's as the world's
economic system is starved for energy and produces less GHG's as a
result. When energy is expensive, rethink, reduce, reuse, repair and
recycle are going to go back to where they used to be as part of our
economy.

Norm Ruttan
iWasteNot Systems
www.iwastenotsystems.com