[GreenYes] Re: waste program experiments?

Title: [GreenYes] Re: waste program experiments?

Hi Christa,

I'm aware of a multi-residential recycling optimization project that
studied and measured the effects of different approaches in isolation
of one anohter (p&e, adding collection containers etc.). An
interesting finding was that the addition of recycling capacity alone
had a significant effect on participation, and the other efforts had
little effect in isolation.

Here is a link to a presentation on the outcome of the project
(delivered recently at a workshop hosted by the Association of
Municipal Recycling Coordinators). I hope you find this helpful. See
London multi-res projects, slide #31.

http://www.amrc.ca/proceedings/page12.html

Also, below is a website containing a detailed report on the project.
The Stewardship Ontario website contains numerous other reports on
projects and studies designed to improve recycling efficiency and
effectiveness (industry funded as part of Ontario's Blue Box Program
funding) that might be of interest to you:

http://www.stewardshipontario.ca/bluebox/eefund/projects.htm#36

Furthermore, it has been my experience that it's common for
municipalities in Ontario (and possibly elsewhere) to formally pilot
test residential curb side collection programs of different designs
before selecting a full-scale program model. Recommendations to City
Councils from waste management departments for significant progams
changes are typically supported by independent reports on pilot study
outcomes, so that decisions regarding program features are
justifiable.

There are likely numerous examples of this over the past decade. I
don't have a specific report to provide you, but if you conduct some
research on muncipalities which have modified their programs in recent
years, they might be able to provide you with more information of this
sort. You might try: Toronto, York Region, Peel Region, Hamilton,
Niagara, London etc.

Jen