[GreenYes] waste program experiments?

Is anyone familiar with recycling or waste reduction programs that used an experimental approach in designing or modifying a program? By experimental I mean, purposefully choosing a control group (or group
that did not get the waste 'intervention') so it could be compared to a group that did get the intervention. Or staging a program so that before and after program results could be analyzed and then changes
could be made to a program, before launching it full-scale. My guess is that this kind of thing is often done informally, but I'm looking for programs where people purposefully designed and tested a program experimentally to develop it (and wrote it up!)

If anyone could direct me to reports or articles on these kinds of 'experimental' design approaches in waste reduction, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Christa
--
Christa McDermott, Ph.D.