[GreenYes] Re: Recycle or go to Hell, says Vatican

Title: Re: [GreenYes] Re: Recycle or go to Hell, says Vatican
This is the kind of reporting that should drive all of us crazy. No one in the Vatican said anything about recycling plastic bags. Completely made up as far as I can tell as a teaser. But many readers won’t understand that ... The article came from The Telegraph in England. Jeez.

I tracked down some other articles on the subject that were a bit more intelligent and straight journalism. There are some real questions about this public statement about adding to “these new seven deadly sins.”

CNN wrote:

>>Father Greg Apparcel, a local priest said that the Pope may have been talking About this aspect of sin as a response to the recent "Italian confession" survey.

Apparcel also hinted that the announcement may have a wider agenda ahead of the Holy Father's trip to the United States and his speech to the United Nations.

"There is some sound going around that perhaps he is going to speak about ecology and environment, and if he does, this is kind of preparation for that," he said.<<

We really have a problem here. I’ve written about this at BlueOlives.blogspot.com. There is this tendency to boil environmental and sustainability issues down to the simple idea of recycling. When recycling becomes part of the media’s joking about the environment, and this is a clear case, the luster may well be coming off of the Green Movement. The Holy Father’s visit to the U.S. can’t come soon enough, but I bet he never once utters the word recycle.

Db
--
David Biddle, Executive Director
<http://www.gpcrc.com>