[GreenYes] Re: Request for advice from New Orleans' Office of Recovery Management

Here's a list of some of the communities in the Mid atlantic with good
recycling programs who have excellent outreach campaigns:

1. Penn Township, PA Recycling Coordinator Gene Hejmanowski. see
http://www.dep.state.pa.us/dep/deputate/airwaste/wm/recycle/PAYT/PAYT-Penn.PDF

2.City of Falls Church, VA See http://www.fallschurchva.gov/community/recycling.html

3. Harford County, MD http://www.mde.state.md.us/assets/document/recycling/Harford.pdf

4. Montgomery County, MD http://www.mde.state.md.us/assets/document/recycling/Montgomery.

5. Cranberry Township, PA
http://www.dep.state.pa.us/dep/deputate/airwaste/wm/recycle/PAYT/Cranberry.pdf

6. Centre County, PA - Joanne Shafer, Recycling Coordinator - See
http://www.dep.state.pa.us/dep/deputate/airwaste/wm/RECYCLE/Market/Profiles/Centre.htm

7. Lancaster County PA - http://www.dep.state.pa.us/dep/deputate/airwaste/wm/RECYCLE/Market/Profiles/Lancaster.htm

8. Garrett County, MD - http://www.mde.state.md.us/assets/document/recycling/Garrett.pdf

And here are a couple of other things I have on the subject:

North Carolina has an outreach program, R3, which has worked well see
http://re3.org/
South Carolina and some other States have used the Recycle guys to
promote recycling see http://www.p2pays.org/recycleguys/index.html

Omaha declares recycling education campaign a success
Recycling rates in Omaha, Nebraska rose by over six percent during a
four-month public education campaign by the City of Omaha Public Works
Department in partnership with the Curbside Value Partnership
(Washington). The Omaha PW reported a 40-percent increase in recycling
bin requests, as well.
The CVP partnered with Omaha to increase the volume and value
of recyclable materials collected after a switch to single-stream
recycling did not generate the volumes city leaders had hoped.
The campaign is ongoing and more information about it is
available online at www.omaharecycles.com

Denver Asks Residents to Rethink Recycling
Denver Recycles, a program of the Department of Public Works/Solid
Waste Management, has launched an expanded residential recycling
program.
The new residential recycling program employs single stream collection
and includes seven new materials: corrugated cardboard, junk mail,
paperboard, office paper, magazines and catalogs, phone books and
brown paper bags.
The Environmental Protection Agency estimates that 35 percent of trash
generated by the average family is paper that can be recycled," Gary
Price, director of solid waste management for the city of Denver,
says. "We wan to increase diversion from the residential waste stream,
so we're adding seven new types of paper to the recycling program.
"This new expanded program will be the first of its kind in Colorado,
and we are hopeful that it will make it possible to divert almost
twice the amount of materials from the landfill," Charlotte Pit,
recycling program manager for Denver Recycles, says.
Residents' current recycling bins will slowly be replaced with new,
larger wheeled recycling carts. According to a release from the Denver
Recycles, it will take up to five years to replace the collection
bins.
Denver is able to expand the materials it collects as a result of its
partnership with Recycle America Alliance (RAA), a majority-owned
subsidiary of Houston-based Waste Management, and its redesigned and
retrofitted Franklin Street Recycling Materials Recovery Facility
(MRF), according to Denver Recycles.
RAA has installed single-stream processing equipment at the MRF to
separate the mixed recyclables. Denver Recycles says the MRF is
capable of processing an estimated 30 tons of material per hour, with
its initial goal being to process about 4,000 tons of material per
month, with the hope of growing to 10,000 tons per month by 2008.
"Single-stream recycling offers residents of Denver an easy and
convenient way to recycle more," Brad Heinrich, Western region
director for RAA, says. "Cities all across the country who have
adopted this system have seen recycling increase by as much as 50
percent."
Additional information on Denver's expanded recycling program is
available online at www.DenverGov.org/DenverRecycles.

Indianapolis attempts to save recycling program
A yearlong initiative announced today by Indianapolis officials is a
last ditch effort to save the city's struggling recycling program.
According to the Indianapolis Star, the new public awareness program
entreats residents to leave recyclables in curbside bins, rather than
throwing them away with the trash. Marion County, which encompasses
the city, is also considering a mandatory pay-as-you-throw incentive
in which recycling would be free. Only 12 percent of the roughly
255,000 households within Marion County participate in the existing
voluntary curbside recycling program.
The city nearly cancelled the recycling program last year, but the
resulting public outcry and a 20 percent increase in recyclables saved
it from the chopping block. Nevertheless, Indianapolis officials say
they need to see much greater participation to justify the program's
continued existence.

Baton Rouge Implements State-of-the-Art Single Stream Recycling
Program
Service Levels and Overall Cost Savings for Solid Waste Management on
the Rise (Baton Rouge, Louisiana)
GBB assisted with the procurement process that led to the 49%
reduction in cost "GBB was instrumental in stepping Baton Rouge
through strategic planning and contract, and without their expertise,
we would not have the progressive program we have today"
Susan Hamilton
Director of Recycling,
East Baton Rouge Parish, Louisiana
On July 31, 2006, the City of Baton Rouge / Parish of East Baton Rouge
(City/Parish), which provides a broad array of solid waste management
services to over 120,000 residences over a span of 472 square miles,
started implementing a new single-stream recycling program, with the
goal of providing greater convenience to residents, collecting larger
volumes of recyclable materials, and reducing solid waste management
costs. In other words, more for less!
New 64-gallon wheeled recycling carts are being delivered to residents
in a two-phase approach over a period of 6 months, and residents are
urged to "Do Your Part, Use the Cart" as part of the new program. With
the arrival of their new carts, residents no longer will have to
separate their materials into green/red bins and will be able to
recycle new materials, such as plastic food and beverage containers
(numbers #1 - #7) and all sizes of folded/flattened cardboard.
The City/Parish is able to collect the expanded mix of materials as a
result of a partnership with local firm The Recycling Foundation and
their new Materials Recovery Facility (MRF), which can process about
18 tons of recyclable material an hour. The MRF is the first of its
kind in Louisiana and rivals singlestream facilities in the most
progressive recycling cities in the country. The company won the City/
Parish recycling contract by offering to pick up and process
recyclables for $1.47 per household, a significant reduction from the
$2.90 per household with the previous contractor. GBB assisted with
the procurement process that led to the 49% reduction in costs by
drafting the RFP and contributing to the selection process and
negotiations with The Recycling Foundation. "GBB's expertise in the
RFP process and wide range of contacts in the recycling industry
resulted in a range of competitive bids for Baton Rouge, leading to
the award of our current low price/household under the Recycling
Foundation contract", noted Susan Hamilton, Director of Recycling for
East Baton Rouge Parish.
Getting to the point of implementation was a long and critical process
that started with a strategic review conducted by GBB and presented to
the Baton Rouge Council in August 2004. The Strategic Plan provided
critical information needed for decision-making and guided the City/
Parish toward a balanced waste and recyclables management system. City
management reviewed the program options available and made
recommendations. GBB was then tasked to assist in managing the
procurement process, which led to the selection of a contractor and to
the implementation currently underway. As with any new recycling
initiative,outreach is the key to success as highlighted by Hamilton:
"We did a lot of grassroots press/pre-press: user fee inserts, bag
stuffers in local grocery stores, paid and donated ads in our local
paper, displays in all parish libraries, etc. We are using Rosie the
Riveter as the mascot and have generated a lot of media coverage right
off the bat, which is great and will contribute to the success of the
initiative."
"Now, one month into cart delivery for the new recycling program, the
grassroots outreach is working well," added Hamilton, "Notwithstanding
a few bumps of resistance to change, mainly from condominium residents
who think the new carts are too large for small garage spaces, most
residents are very pleased with the convenience of the new program and
the opportunity to recycle more."
"The expanded list of materials collected, lack of sorting, and ease
of using the cart should enable Baton Rouge residents to double the
12,000 tons of recyclables currently collected from residents at the
curb annually," said Hamilton. Looking back at the initiative that
started two years ago, and reflecting on all the work that led to the
current implementation, Hamilton expressed satisfaction that Baton
Rouge now has one of the most progressive and cost-effective recycling
programs in the state: "The greatest hurdle was getting through the
contract writing, bid, and award process. The greatest reward is
seeing our community embrace the new program, and looking towards
seeing recycling grow over the remaining ten years of the contract.
GBB was instrumental in stepping Baton Rouge through strategic
planning and contract, and without their expertise, we would not have
the progressive program we have today."
As of August 2007 with 51,000 carts delivered, tonnage collected
curbside has increased by over 30%.
Baton Rouge Wins 2007 Outstanding Public Education Award from National
Recycling Coalition

Susan Hamilton, Director of Recycling for East Baton Rouge Parish,
with Harvey Gershman, GBB President.
On September 17, 2007, the National Recycling Coalition (NRC)
presented the Beth Brown Boettner Award for Outstanding Public
Education to the East Baton Rouge Recycling Office. The prestigious
award was presented to Susan Hamilton, Director of Recycling for East
Baton Rouge Parish, during NRC's 26th Annual Congress & Expo, in
Denver, CO.