[GreenYes] Re: recyclability of plastics beyond #1 and #2?

This is a very helpful overview of some the characteristics of plastic that are invisible to consumers but critically important to the plastics industry. It is a fascinating glimpse into the world of plastics!

But I ask you: is it really practical to expect consumers, local governments, solid waste authorities and even plastics recyclers to stay on top of the technological developments in dyes, plasticizers, UV inhibitors, softeners, and other chemicals that affect viscosity and melting temperature, etc, etc., etc.

Brand-owners select packaging to protect their particular products. Extended Producer Responsibility bridges the gap between the consumer and the brand-owner, relieving the consumer of the obligation to become an expert in polymer chemistry. If, as seems likely, there is a gap between the brand-owner and his packaging supplier, EPR bridges that too: the brand-owner will say: what kind of plastic is this? How can it be recycled?

Helen.