[GreenYes] Re: Cartoonbank.com message from David Biddle

I’m not sure exactly what McCall’s message was, but I agree with Dan and Ann that he is almost certainly poking fun at recycling.  We all know that “recycling” isn’t going to solve our mounting environmental problems…it’s not going to halt climate change….. but it’s a small step that each of us can take to help reduce our environmental footprint.  How about some letters to the editor of the New Yorker on this!!!   While they don’t give a word limit on their website it looks like they prefer 50 words or less.  Here’s the url for submitting letters.     http://www.newyorker.com/contact/letterToEditor   I sure hope Dan and Ann will submit their comments as LTE’s…….

Pat Franklin

From: GreenYes@no.address [mailto:GreenYes@no.address] On Behalf Of Dan Knapp
Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2007 6:55 PM
To: Ann Dorfman
Cc: GreenYes@no.address
Subject: [GreenYes] Re: Cartoonbank.com message from David Biddle

I think the cartoon is an attack on source separation and the mostly imagined problem of container proliferation.  The image is hyperbole, of course, and the humor comes from the studied exaggeration for effect.  The target is  Political Correct Behavior, which neocons love to scorn.  Regarding recycling not being "the answer," no one but a few EPR zealots ever said it was, at least not all by itself.  We really need Reduce, Reuse, AND Recycle (including composting) to get to zero waste.  All are required, and none is more important than the other.  Source separation is still the key to effective recycling, because it produces the cleanest products.

Dan Knapp

Urban Ore, Inc., a Berkeley reuse and recycling business since 1980.