[GreenYes] Re: 6 new messages in 6 topics - digest

Title: [GreenYes] Re: 6 new messages in 6 topics - digest

Neil and Helen,

I don't think John would disagree that cheap landfilling is a
disincentive to recycling, and many of us also believe that
incineration of mixed waste, even if for energy recovery, is not the
best use of much of that waste.  However, the analysis we have been
doing in Oregon points to upstream impacts - the environmental damage
caused by the harvesting of raw materials and the manufacturing
processes to make products - as being much more important than the
downstream impacts of disposal.  I think you argue that by making
landfilling cheap, we make it easier to dispose of materials and thus
make it less likely that those materials will be recycled.  That is
certainly true.  However, it is the reduction in recycling - not the
damage caused by landfilling - that creates environmental damage when
new materials have to be harvested and processed to make up for
materials that are thrown away.

I know that Neil fully understands the importance of upstream effects,
and he discusses in an earlier post.  However, for those who may not
have thought as much about this, I will give 3 examples of where
materials are recycled, but in such a way that they either cause
environmental damage or else they are recycled in a much less
environmentally-friendly way than they could be.

Case 1: Biodegradable plastic like PLA (polylactic acid) being
composted instead of recycled.  Some people view biodegradable plastic
as a zero waste solution, because you can compost the plastic and have
nothing go to landfill.  I view the decision to compost a
biodegradable plastic as 100% waste, because you take all of the
energy that went into growing the corn, making the fertilizer,
harvesting the corn, fermenting it to make lactic acid, and processing
this into PLA, and you waste all of this energy when you compost the
PLA.  You don't even get any compost out of it - it all degrades to
carbon dioxide and water.  You then have to go out and grown more
corn, etc.  If you recycled the plastic, you would save at least some
of this energy and produce far less greenhouse gases in the process.

Case 2: "No Spark Bark".  An Oregon entrepreneur came up with the
great idea of taking roofing shingles, grinding them, mixing them with
bark dust, and marketing the mixture as "no spark bark" to use on
garden beds and other places where people spread bark dust.
Eventually people figured out that asphalt shingles are full of very
toxic substances, and it does not make sense to use this product any
place where children play or where any of us might be exposed to dust
from it.  A lot of "no spark bark" has had to be cleaned up and
disposed, and that which still remains out on the ground is not really
saving any significant resources.

Case 3: Glass used as aggregate.  Unfortunately, even here in the
greater Portland area where we have a glass plant, more and more
curbside glass is being used for very low-grade uses such as aggregate
rather than used to make glass bottles or fiberglass.  The problem is
poor preparation by homeowners and even more so, poor collection
practices that mix the colors and make the glass pretty much unusable
by the local glass plant.  Recycling glass into aggregate saves the
relatively small amount of energy it takes to crush and size rock into
aggregate.  Recycling the glass back into glass bottles would save
significant energy due to the lower melting point of glass when
compared to sand.  Refilling the bottles would save even more energy.
If you are only looking at keeping things out of the landfill though,
you miss out on the energy and greenhouse gas savings that comes with
refilling or recycling glass as opposed to using it as aggregate.

Again, cheap landfilling may lead to reduced recycling, but it is the
increase thereby caused in energy needs and environmental damage from
harvesting and processing virgin materials which is important, not the
damage caused directly by the material in the landfill.

By the way, I did not see Neils' post that referred to aluminum cans.
Can you point me to it?

Peter Spendelow
Oregon Department of Environmental Quality