[GreenYes] Re: national plastics recycling facts and figures

Joelle,
I had hoped some others might respond with the info you seek.  I have some other ideas as well.
Maybe the approach could be that the problems and challenges for recycling still provide ample opportunities for businesses, scientists, inventors, etc. to find ways to solve our crises.
Perhaps your article could help energize the Coop America Business Network and others to seek cultural, economic, political, and/or market-based solutions!

Here's a thought for you to explore: "all plastic is recyclable". I think most on this list would have valid arguments with this statement but let me explain. Although the statement itself is essentially true, the reality is that we still lack some recycling infrastructure to make it possible.
So many problems --- so many opportunities to make a difference.
I do think the vast majority of plastic that is collected for recycling in the US and around the world gets made into something. Of course, proper collection, sorting, baling, transportation, and processing helps make the containers, bags, etc. suitable for highest possible use.
Have you tried the American Plastics Council?
or Association of Postconsumer Plastic Recyclers
Trex is composite decking (wood alternative) made from post-consumer and/or post-industrial reclaimed plastic and waste wood. The reclaimed plastic comes primarily from grocery sacks (both HDPE and LDPE) and stretch film (pallet wrap/LLDPE), and the waste wood is from woodworking manufacturers (sawdust).
"Plastic Lumber" is generally 100% post-consumer HDPE (#2) blow-molded containers.
Check out Murray Fox's company "I-Rock Industries" http://www.i-rockonline.com/  They cold-extrude co-mingled plastics!
There are so many exciting advancements happening every day.

Dan Weisenbach
Columbus, Ohio
p.s.:  I would love to have more sources for post-consumer polypropylene (PP-5)