[GreenYes] Re: Zero Waste Music Festivals?

Bob -

I couldn't find the exact link I was hoping for, but here is the link
to the Burning Man festival in Nevada. A huge Annual Festival that
tries really hard to get to zero waste - they refer to it as MOOP -
Matter Out Of Place - Great Concept. Here are some links:

Here is a check list of what NOT to bring (for campers):

http://www.burningman.com/preparation/event_survival/
radical_self_reliance.html

How to reduce your trash:

http://www.burningman.com/on_the_playa/garbage_recycling/
reduce_trash.html

Create lighter, better smelling trash:

http://www.burningman.com/on_the_playa/garbage_recycling/
lighter_trash.html

Create a "Recycle Camp"

http://www.burningman.com/on_the_playa/environment_concerns/
recycle_camp.html

But if you search the site for MOOP you may find better listings on
camping ideas. Basically the more you know, the less you need. All
prior planning will pay off with less waste. As much upfront
communication as possible. Issue a challenge to campers to leave no
trace (http://www.burningman.com/on_the_playa/environment_concerns/
lnt_outdoor.html) and pack out what they pack in.

You might also contact the Reggae on the River folks up in Humboldt.
They even have a permit for their annual food scraps composting...

http://www.ciwmb.ca.gov/SWIS/detail.asp?PG=DET&SITESCH=12-
AA-0118&OUT=HTML

People Productions
P O Box 962
Redway, CA 05467
Phone: (707) 923-4599
Fax: (707) 923-4509

Hope some of this is useful.

Matthew Cotton
Integrated Waste Management Consulting, LLC
19375 Lake City Road
Nevada City, CA 95959
(530) 265-4560
Fax (530) 265-4547
mattcotton@no.address

Join us at the US Composting Council's 16th Annual Conference & Trade
Show, February 8 - 12th, 2008 at the Oakland Marriott City Center,
Oakland, California. Check it out at www.compostingcouncil.org