[GreenYes] Re: Recycled paper in trouble?

The problems I read here, Susan, are:

1) people who recycle are not sorting paper correctly
2) not all companies send their paper out to be recycled
3) fear of lost of more trees for production of paper due to additional
demand from developing countries

Here are some ideas to work on:

1) If we can segregate paper from glass and metal, then we can also have
different recycling bins to segregate type of paper. Eg, there can be a
recycling bin for envelopes. This will ensure that the plastic from
window envelopes are removed before being recycled. There should be a
bin for paper contaminated with other sort of material.
2) One of the reasons why companies are not keen to recycle could be
fear of confidential information being leaked. Recyclers can encourage
companies to recycle by providing a locked shredding machine. The cost
to supply this machine will be covered if it increases more companies to
recycle.
3) More research should be carried out to make use of fast growing
tropical plants to be used to manufacture paper. Some examples: farm
leftovers like cornstalks, wheat straw, rice straw, hay straw, banana
stalks, or sugarcane waste, that can be made into tree-free paper. Poo
from animals can be used too
http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline/2007/03/chinese_plan_to.html.
4) This is what I am working on. Change the way we produce reading
materials. Cheaper if delivered as ebook more expensive if a printed
copy is requested. Readers can have to option to read full article
electronically but printed version will be in a summarized table form.
Writers should give buyers the option to choose sections of the book
they are interested in. That means a book can consist of some sections
from different writers. Discourage photocopying section of books for
others by offering to reward readers who recommend what they have read
to others.

Will write more about this as the ideas come.

Rgds
Nancy