From: GreenYes@no.address [mailto:GreenYes@no.address]On
Behalf Of M.Simons
Sent: Friday, January 05, 2007 5:41 AM
To: GreenYes@no.address
Subject: [GreenYes] Mouth Smaller at Neck - Why?

Greetings,

A lot of plastics recycling programs specify that they only collect 1 & 2 plastics that are "smaller at the neck than at the base" otherwise referred to as "narrow-neck" bottles. However, I have not yet found a reasoning for such a thing. If something is a 1 or 2 plastic, why does it matter the size or shape of the item? I would guess it has something to do with the machines they use to sort with.. but I don't know why else they would say this. If 1 & 2 plastics are relatively easier to recycle than others, and are having a higher demand, increased economic value, etc.. why would they not wish to collect them all?

--
MS