[GreenYes] Re: Waste Composition Study

Wayne-

Oregon Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) does regular waste
composition studies throughout the state. We do not concentrate on any
one landfill, but instead collect samples from landfills and transfer
stations throughout the state in a manner designed to represent all of
the municipal and construction waste being disposed from Oregon. A
link to the most recent completed report, from 2002, is below:

www.deq.state.or.us/lq/sw/disposal/wastecompositionstudy.htm

We are still doing analysis on the 2005/2006 study, and have not yet
published a report for that study.

I would recommend sampling in such a way that all seasons are
represented in proportion to the amount of waste disposed each season.
Our studies have fairly extensive documentation on methodology.

Sky Valley Associates did our data collection for the 2002 study and
the 2005/06 study, but DEQ does the data analysis and produces the
report because we find it more useful that way.

Peter Spendelow
Oregon Department of Environmental Quality