[GreenYes] Recycled Content: False Claims or Whatcha Gonna Do?

We've all seen it... an original document is printed on 100% PCR or
PCF or FSC certified or whatever groovy, eco-cool paper we're
promoting. You know all the details about the paper, because at the
bottom, there's a small tagline or symbol announcing it all.

Then some one else makes a photocopy on god-only-knows-what type of
paper. The tagline now appears at the bottom of a document printed on
paper of questionable content. You shrug your shoulders and say to
yourself "Oh well, the reader will be savvy enough to recognize that
this is a photocopy."

In the larger scheme of things, it's not a big deal. But it's been
tickling me for 10 or 15 years. Having recently designed some
letterhead, I paused to consider some of the alternatives.

Here's what I've come up with:
(1) Watermark
(2) Photocopy blue - light blue ink that doesn't show up on the
(3) Some pithy statement or disclaimer that says "if this isn't
original, don't believe it"

Here are the drawbacks:
(1) Watermark - expensive, limited paper lines
(2) Photocopy blue - doesn't always match the color scheme
(3) Disclaimer - this requires literary and poetic talents, not my

Soooooo.... just tossing it out there to see if anyone else has an
opinion or solution.

Laurie Stoerkel
Oakland, California
(510) 596-3795