[GreenYes] Re: Informed management [LCA]

At 08:02 AM 10/2/2006 -0500, Reindl, John wrote:
>I disagree that Life Cycle has to include a death and a grave and
>that it cannot work for landfills and incineration because of the
>on-going impacts. I have read studies that look at landfill impacts
>over a period of thousands of years.
>
>John

I am not arguing that LCA cannot be used for anything in
particular. It is an interesting and useful tool. BUT, a LCA, like
"risk assessment," is made of assumptions piled on top of
assumptions, and can be manipulated when used in support of a
particular interest. It can be used to disempower a community by
helping to override local preferences or concerns. It can be used to
try to force the revisitation of "dead" issues over and over again....

Nobody should accept the conclusions of a LCA without looking at it
very very carefully.

Alan