[GreenYes] Re: Environmental Speaker

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006, Mark B wrote:
> Its me again, Mark Becker, with Green Project UNI in Iowa. Our student
> group has some contingency funds to bring in an speaker to highlight
> some environmental issue of urgency and i'm writing to inquire if any of
> you recommend any specific person based on a really positive experience.
> Let me know whenever you can! We believe this to be an excellent
> opportunity to educate students and bring some Green fire to our campus.

Well, as it stands, I'm actually going to be in Iowa (Cedar Falls to be
exact) during the last week in October through to Halloween.

I'd like to meet up with anybody on this list in the area for coffee,
etc., or hear of any suggestions of things to do/see.

While I'm probably not the person to speak on "some issue of urgency" to
'fire up the campus', as that says to me some big speaker on global
warming, or some similar intense topic or approach. I'd love to meet with
your group.

I do have significant experience speaking leading
discussions/presentations with student organizations -- but, ah uh, on
other topics.

Some of my favorite environmental topics include creative reuse of
materials, reuse in the arts/found object art, ecovillages (working on
developing one now), sustainable development, green technologies/building,
brownfields redevelopment (doing that now, but not sure how much I can
speak on it), lowering personal impact especially in household utilities
usage, and researching and brainstorming solutions to various topics. I
guess I have a lot of general knowledge about various interelated topics
as well as the ability to make connections between diverse communities and
ideas.

Since you're here, one could probably say the same for you..

--
msimons@no.address INFORMATION*MEDIA*PHOTOGRAPHY www.michaelsimons.com
Turning Old Into New?: Please Take Materials Exchange : www.pleasetake.org