From: amuller@no.address
To: gary@no.address; GreenYes@no.address
Cc: marlenerayner@no.address
Sent: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 4:17 AM
Subject: [GreenYes] Re: Zero Waste Hierarchy of Highest and Best Uses

Gary,

I am in general agreement with the rank ordering of items. I think it would be useful to have a background document explaining the basis for the ordering. For example, what is the difference between "Landfill in âbioreactorâ designed without cost constraints" and WITH cost constraints? Everything in the real world has costs constraints... What do we really mean here?

In my own mind, I tend to classify processes as potentially vs not potentially acceptable. In Delaware, responding to persistent incineration promotion (originating with the crank Vasuki), there has been debate and misunderstanding over whether incineration should be "off the table," vs whether one has to look at it in order to *appear* objective and reasonable, vs those who consider this a real option. Does including incineration (of mixed garbage) in a hierarchy amount to taking sides in this sort of debate? Are some approaches "not potentially acceptable?"

To offer another (silly) example, a waste management option seriously considered by some Delaware households, and adopted by some of these, is to put their wastes in green poly bags and toss them by the side of the road for someone else (DOT crews and chain gangs) to pick up or for critters to scatter. For some reason this "option" is never brought up by waste managers and wonks but it is a live option for the "customer."

Alan