From: GreenYes@no.address [mailto:GreenYes@no.address]On Behalf Of Alan Muller
Sent: Friday, June 30, 2006 9:12 AM
To: Greenyes List
Subject: [GreenYes] Re: with $400 million, I think we could get darn close to ZW!

At 12:22 PM 6/29/2006 -0500, Reindl, John wrote:

I would hope that Zero Waste would also include a feature of minimizing the environmental impacts of the use/management of materials, or, at least reducing them to the point of sustainability (whatever that point may be). 100% (and even less than 100$) recovery can result in increasing these impacts and do more damage than good.

John

John:

Could you expand a bit on what you are getting at here? Obviously there are impacts associated with recovery and reuse of materials. But we usually claim those impacts are less that the impacts of extracting and processing the virgin stuff we hope we are offsetting the use of. Are you saying this isn't always the case?

Alan