[GreenYes] FW: [GreenYes] NYC Recycling? related questions

I'm forwarding Amelia's question to the GreenYes listserve, as she intended.
Here is my response:

Dear Amelia,

Let me respond to each of your points

1. I think all the discussion on the listserve recently about
commercial collection has established one thing. Although it may rarely
happen that commercial recyclables are sent to landfills (usually in
circumstances in which markets are depressed or collection/transfer
operations in great disarray), in most cases it only seems that way to folks
outside the collection business. This is because of the wide range of
collection and post-collection sorting methods that exist.

2. This also applies to your point about sorting out paper from refuse
by office building maintenance staff. While it may not be the most
efficient method, it is certainly possible and done all the time. Coffee
spillage, etc. is not a make or break event if there is enough paper to sort
out. Of course, one would need to actually witness what was going on in a
particular building at any time; there may be abuses going on, but simply
being told that post-collection sorting is going on by building staff
doesn't mean there are. I would apply the same caveat to the observer as I
suggest above.

3. Regarding contaminants of residential paper and metal/glass/plastic
recycling collected by the Department of Sanitation: we have completed a
four season study of what is in the trash and the recycling in New York City
(see www.nyc.gov/nycwasteless) and it shows that 5% of paper loads and 20%
of MGP loads taken to recycling processors consist of the "wrong" thing (in
the case of MGP, the wrong thing could include yogurt containers or paper).
So it is certainly not the case that recycling is discarded as refuse if a
sanitation workers sees one minor mistake. If a clear bag seems obviously
full of trash, the worker may collect it as refuse, but this is a rarity.
Overall, our statistics show that the system is working as it should. The
vast majority of what is collected as recycling is what should be there; but
minor contamination isn't preventing major recycling from going in. And the
rates of contamination are no worse than seen in other dense cities.

4. There is no post-sorting of refuse collected by the Dept. of
Sanitation, ever. This is a question I get often. Refuse goes to a refuse
transfer station, and, if it contains recyclables, it is treated as refuse.
Our same study finds that about 20% of refuse consists of things that
shouldn't be recycled, which is pretty normal for municipalities.

I hope this answers your questions.

Best,

Samantha MacBride

Deputy Director, Recycling

Bureau of Waste Prevention, Reuse and Recycling

New York City Department of Sanitation

44 Beaver Street, 6th floor

New York, NY 10010