[GreenYes] Re: Are degradable plastics zero-waste?

I purchased some deli food at Wild Oats in some of these containers,
and tried to compost them in my home compost pile. The second time I
dug in the area, I found the containers still mostly intact, but
covered with little maggot-like creatures. The third time I dug in the
area (about a month between digs), the containers were mostly gone.
Every once in a while I find a little piece that probably wasn't
buried. I'm not too concerned about getting more than carbon out of
the containers in my compost.

If one is really concerned about not getting as much carbon out of
compost, one would compost leaves before they turn brown in the fall.
I do this quite a lot - harvest green leaves for composting around
frost-time.
Jim Gagnepain
http://home.comcast.net/~oil_free_and_happy/