[GreenYes] RE: [CRRA] source separation

While helping my daughter with a family history project last summer I
learned that my 5th great grandfather was a partner in the first paper mill
west of the Alleghenies (Redstone creek, Fayette, Co. PA c 1797). Before
the mill was built he made paper by hand at a rate of a ream and a half per
day. The mill had eight employees, all women. He and his sons and
grandsons eventually built and operated approx a dozen more paper mills up
through the late 1800s in PA, Ohio, and Virginia/West Virginia. Their last
mill (Wellsburg, WV) made flour sacks and was eventually bought by
Pillsbury.

The first paper produced in the Redstone mill (1797) was primarily made from
used rags. Later mills used hemp, rope and straw (not trees). A horse
pulled cart traveled the area collecting the rags. There was a different
price per pound paid for clean rags vs dirty rags and they were separated at
the source. Further research surfaced web sites that claimed collecting
rags for making paper in colonial America was the first example of curbside
recycling.

There was a significant business advantage to having a mill that could
produce locally as paper no longer had to be hauled over the mountains. The
Pittsburgh Gazette in 1797 printed an article saying that prices of paper
should drop in the area due to the new Redstone Mill. However later
articles indicate that the hope of lower prices did not come to pass due to
an unanticipated shortage of rags to use for paper production.

Bob Hollis

Robert W. Hollis
Carnegie Partners, Inc.
Ph 916 941-9053