[greenyes] CAFTA, NAFTA - National ZW Committee for Sierra Club

Roger:

Good points. Just to point out the Sierra Club is not against trade
agreements. We just want trade agreements that protect the environment
and to be careful of trade agreements that will prevent the US and the
states from enforcing their own environmental laws. Since CAFTA has not
been signed (ratified?) there is still time to make changes in the
agreement(s) that protect the environment... and who knows, try to add
what you have suggested below.

Right now National SC is working up a list of how CAFTA might effect the
recycling world. I will post it as soon as I get it. And I will forward
your comments to National SC staffers who work on Global Trade Issues.

Sincerely,

Ann Schneider
Sierra Club, Loma Prieta Chapter Zero Waste Chair

Just an FYI, I've been given the go ahead by Sierra Club National to
create a national Sierra Club group to help develop a zero waste policy
for the Club, so if any of you GRRNers are also Sierra Club members and
want to help me modify existing ZW policies for the SC and then to
develop a strategy to educate all our chapters in the US and
internationally, let me know. We have no budget for conference calls
yet, but if I can prove that we have a core group across the country then
I can ask for money so we can develop this project.

I am working on somehow bringing Zero Waste to the first ever Sierra Club
convention to be held in San Francisco this September. I may only get a
table for materials but will be contacting GRRN for help with materials
for this opportunity to reach thousands of Sierra Club activists.