[greenyes] Commercial Recycling Franchising

Megan from Boise asks is it is desirable for the city to extend BFI's
existing franchise for commercial trash to include recycling.

We wrote an article that was published in the June 2001 issue of MSW
Management that analyzes the structure of the large waste companies to
evaluate whether they can be relied upon to constructively implement
recycling programs. You can find it on the web at:
http://competitivewaste.org/reports/CCWRecyclingConsolidation1.PDF.

In summary, we found that the economic forces operating on the waste
industry will strongly tend to be in opposition to successful and expanding
recycling efforts.

It is important that cities consider these underlying financial pressures
when considering franchising recycling to the major trash companies if they
wish to achieve the diversion goals into the future.

Peter

_____________________________
Peter Anderson, Executive Director
CENTER FOR A COMPETITIVE