[greenyes] Waste Management Asks Michigan to Subsidize Landfills

THE DETROIT NEWS

Wednesday, April 6, 2005
Waste firm asks state for money
Tax-exempt bonds would pave way to improve, expand Michigan landfills.
By Joel Kurth / The Detroit News

Michigan officials this week may consider a request to use taxpayer money to
help bring more trash into the state.
Texas-based Waste Management Inc. has asked the Michigan Strategic Fund for
$68 million in tax-exempt bonds to improve or expand 13 landfills, including
the state's busiest, Pine Tree Acres in Macomb County's Lenox Township.
It's a request that's infuriated environmentalists, stoked the ongoing
debate about imported trash and prompted questions about what economic
value, if any, dumps bring to the state. Mostly, it's igniting fears that
bigger landfills would bring even more trash into Michigan, already the
nation's third-biggest importer of out-of-state waste.
"This is one of the most appalling things I've heard in all my life," said
state Rep. Herb Kehrl, D-Monroe, who is sponsoring legislation to extend a
moratorium on landfill expansions from 2006 to 2010.
"State bonds should be used to create good jobs, not more trash heaps. What
kind of use of tax dollars is this?"
"...
"...
"...
"...
"...
"..."
_________________________
Peter Anderson, President
RECYCLEWORLDS CONSULTING
4513 Vernon Blvd. Suite 15
Madison, WI 53705-4964
Ph: (608) 231-1100
Fax: (608) 233-0011
Cell: (608) 698-1314
eMail: anderson@no.address
web: www.recycleworlds.net

CONFIDENTIAL
This message, and all attachments thereto,
is covered by the Electronic Communications
Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C., Sections 2510-2521.
This message is CONFIDENTIAL. If you are
not the intended recipient of this message,
then any retention, dissemination, distribution
or copying of this communication is strictly
prohibited. Please notify me if you received
this message in error at anderson@no.address
and then delete it.