[greenyes] Sustainability Proposal for Small City

My town (27,000) wants to put together a plan that will help to ensure that it maintains its diversity in the face of rising home prices and a shrinking of the middle class. We are afraid that the community will be come one of "haves" and "have nots". Some of the areas that are of concern are affordable housing, jobs, adequate transportation, socio-economic diversity, and an adequate revenue source for the city to maintain itself.
Does anyone know of other cities of this size that have worked on these issues and where I might find their proposals?
Thanks very much for your help.
Pat Potter
patp@no.address
(408) 998-0700 ext. 102