[greenyes] ZW in the south Bay Area [greenyes] ZW goals without incineration?

Veronica:
The Zero Waste Task Force of San Mateo, Santa Clara and San Benito Counties
(ZWTFsBay ) in September 2004 adopted a Zero Waste Communities Strategy that it
has shared with city officials and staff in the region with a mission to promote
Zero Waste in the South Peninsula/San Jose/San Francisco Bay Area region. The
Zero Waste Communities Strategy can be downloaded at
www.crra.com/grc/articles/zwc.html, and tailored for use by other communities.

In particular the City of Palo Alto (California) has unianomously voted to
engage in writing a zero waste goal and plan. They have set up a stakeholder
task force aided by an outside consultant to define their zero waste goal,
schedule and plan. Palo Alto does not have a MSW incinerator, however they do
have a thermo processing facility for their sewage wastes.

California in general has three MSW incinerators, one in the outskirts of the
city of Modesto (Crows Landing). The other two are in the greater Los Angeles
area-- one in the city of Commerce (next to East LA), and the thrid in the
beautiful ocean city of Long Beach. For a complete listing of MSW incinerators
in the US please visit:
http://www.wte.org/2004_Directory/IWSA_2004_Directory.html

The ZWTFsBay adheres to the zero waste definition adopted by the Planning Group
of the Zero Waste International Alliance that does not consider incineration as
a zero waste methodology:

"Zero Waste is a goal that is both pragmatic and visionary, to guide people
to emulate sustainable natural cycles, where all discarded materials are
resources for others to use. Zero Waste means designing and managing
products and processes to reduce the volume and toxicity of waste and
materials, conserve and recover all resources, and not burn or bury
them. Implementing Zero Waste will eliminate all discharges to land, water
or air that may be a threat to planetary, human, animal or plant health."

Let me know if you have any other questions

Best,
Antoinette "Toni" Stein, PhD
800 Magnolia Street
Menlo Park, CA 94025