[greenyes] RE: ReUse a Shoe v. Recycle a Shoe

Nike's program should be called RecycleAShoe.

Salvation Army, Goodwill INdustries, St. Vincent de Paul and other charities earn about 50 cents per pound for used shoes.

Although I've been assured by NRC that the Nike Program encourages reuse of used shoes before grinding, I was informed by the recipient of the Nike grant in Pittsfield MA 2 weeks ago that they were told not to allow Goodwill to reuse shoes. I also spoke to the head of Goodwill in Pittsfield who was, understandably, angrily perplexed.

Shoes are not and have never been difficult to move, they have always been a major positive revenue item for the charities. If Nike is sincere about "Reuse" they should offer the program exclusively through those charities.