RE: [greenyes] Coke, Refillables and Recycling

I don't disagree with you Peter. Coke deserves credit for making the
change that we asked them to (If they in fact did). But sometimes
recycling feels like a bandaid on the problem.

The more I learn about plastics (especially as containers for
food/drink) the less I want to encourage the production and use of them.
And while I understand why plastic is so popular, the truly sustainable
path does not include the production of synthetic, toxic,
non-biodegradable polymers from a non-renewable resource. And while it's
a good thing for Coke to use less virgin material in its bottles, the
recycled plastic isn't any better for our health than the new plastic.
We need to move away from petroleum-based plastics altogether. This is
where the recycling movement ends and the Zero Waste movement
begins...with redesign.

Linda Smith
Community Outreach Manager
Eco-Cycle
303.444.6634

P.S. Donate your car, truck, boat or RV to Eco-Cycle. Get the details
at www.ecocycle.org/cardonation