Re: [greenyes] Marine Transfer Stations

At 01:57 PM 8/12/2004 -0500, Peter Anderson wrote:
Leila Darabi asks:
"I am a student at Columbia's School of Journalism researching a
story on New York City's long-term plans for solid waste management and
the business of exporting trash out of state.

"I am trying to understand the environmental pros/cons and
cost/benefits of reopening New York City's marine transfer stations
and converting them into facilities that could containerize waste
and make it easier to transfer out of state.

"Can anyone refer me to experts on New York City waste management,
the export business and/or the marine transfer of solid waste?"

Hmmm,

What is an "expert?"

NYC is not interested in coming to grips with it's garbage situation in a responsible manner (or at least the Mayor and the Dept. of Sanitation aren't), but wants to dump its garbage all over the East Coast. Bloomberg, like many money people, is attracted to incinerators for reasons having nothing to do with their merits (few) for dealing with garbage.

I suppose the marine transfer stations seem desirable from the standpoint of the economics for the City, as mentioned by Peter, because they *could* help avoid Waste Management and the like from getting a monopoly. (One might well tend to look with favor on anything not liked by WM....), but what about the impacts on the garbage-receiving communities?

So it is a complicated question..... From my point of view, I don't particularly want NYC garbage rolling through my state on the way to Virginia, or wherever.

It would probably be sound public policy to not allow garbage exports from places lacking serious and effective "zero waste" programs, but we don't have the laws in place to do that.....

Alan Muller
Green Delaware