Re: [greenyes] European PET Recycling, NRC and recycling in America

Eric Lombardi is a respected recycling professional, past NRC Board member, a
zero waste advocate and currently serves on the GRRN Board of Directors. I
respect his experience and good judgment.

But I'm puzzled about Eric's message today lamenting the role of NRC in
"representing recycling GROWTH in America". Eric and other GRRN leaders who have
served on the NRC Board of Directors have long been advocates of the National
Recycling Coalition, even with the inherent limitations of so many competing
interests in the organization.

Fundamentally different policy, legal and political dynamics drive packaging
recycling in Europe and America, as we all know. I can't see how NRC can be
expected to change those dynamics.

Wasn't GRRN founded to push the next phase in recycling...zero waste...and
producer responsbility? Since GRRN shifted its primary focus from the Coke and
Pepsi campaign for use of 25 percent recycling content in new beverage
bottles, the organization has taken on a major challenge in the e-waste arena.
Budget and resource limitations led GRRN to make difficult choices as an advocacy
group.

Making difficult choices about policy and program priorities is something
Eric Lombardi has done with Ecocycle, NRC and GRRN. So what is Eric's message
for readers of GreenYes?

Data from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and additional sources
suggests that the United States will fall far short of a 35 percent recycling
rate in 2005, the agency's currently policy goal. Perhaps the debate about
stimulating recycling GROWTH in America involves more fundamental questions than
the actions of the NRC.

Respectfully,

Lance King
Chairman