[greenyes] Lead wheel weights

As a response to my posting yesterday, several people have asked me about
alternatives to lead wheel weights. There are lots of sites on the Internet
promoting alterantives; a good summary can be found on the following web
page, which notes that in Michigan, an estimated 75-100 metric tons fall off
cars each year in that state.

Also, under the side bar of "What is the problem with lead wheel weights" a
detailed description of the issue is provided, including research by the
Wisconsin DNR, which says:

'Studies conducted by the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources in
Madison, Wisconsin, have shown that approximately 40% of the runoff from
residential areas and 70% of the runoff from commercial areas had lead
levels "high enough to kill aquatic life." '

http://www.leadfreewheels.org/

I hope that this is helpful.

John Reindl, Recycling Manager
Dane County, WI