RE: [greenyes] FW: Corporation as Psychopath

Hello,

Although I have not read this whole string of e-mails, I do think about this
topic a lot, so I contribute I'd respond on my lunch hour. I would be
interested in other views.

Corporations are amoral by nature - not good or evil, or in between. Their
goal is to make money, and if they don't maximize that effort, shareholders
can sue. Because corporations are amoral and have no empathy, if they were
people they would be considered sociopaths. But they are not human.

People who work for corporations have morals, but work within the confines
and goals of the larger corporation. Most, I'm sure, are good people, no
matter what the behavior of the corporation. There are some (few) who adopt
the amorality of corporations to excel in business. They have (we all have)
the potential themselves of becoming sociopaths, and some break laws and
become "corporate criminals." Some don't break the law but still become very
wealthy at the expense of others and/or the environment which supports all
life.

Small businesses get bigger in part by effectively maximizing profit.
Businesses that focus on issues like social or environmental responsibility
without profit as the goal (these can be good PR) or adopt unrequired
policies that aren't as competitive do not tend to compete as well, do not
often turn into big companies, and are usually out-competed. Some owners of
companies choose responsibility over profit understanding it effects growth
and competitiveness.

Morals must often be imposed upon companies to prevent damage to society.
The two ways I see to ensure morality in the business world are through
purchasing power (making it competitive to have moral practices and
policies) and regulation. Using purchasing power requires an educated
public, and, unfortunately, corporations seem to be better (better funded)
at "educating" (PR and advertising) than anyone else.

We use regulation to protect human health, the environment, labor, etc.
Regulation can also be used to ensure equality in free speech for democratic
societies, and to minimize disparity of wealth through the regulation of
profit-sharing or pay rates. We also use regulation to try to ensure
sustainability. If resource use isn't regulated, then each company will try
to obtain and use as much as it can for profit. This is the basic lesson
from Garret Hardin's "Tragedy of the Commons." Ideally, equal regulation
provides a level playing field for businesses to compete without degrading
society, quality of life, and the environment.

"Regulation" has been given a bad rap because it can restrict business
profit and make doing business more difficult, and because it paid for (as
all government services are ) through taxation and user fees. Political
boundaries in our global market place and environment have made equal
application of regulation difficult. Globalization without equal regulation
creates market inequities.

Just my thoughts,

Terry S. Brennan

The views expressed here do not necessarily reflect those of the California
Integrated Waste Management Board or the State of California