RE: [greenyes] Biosolids Injection Wells

The problem with most sewage sludge is the presence in it of undesirable contaminants
such as heavy metals. Composting sludge (actually this normally means co-composting it
with green material) dilutes the problem but doesn't make it go away. Given this,
landfilling is probably still the preferred alternative for most if not all sludge. The
real solution is to get the contaminants out of the sludge, but this would mean radical
changes (mainly to stop the contaminants from getting into the sludge to begin with) that
sewage treatment plant operators have little interest in.
-- Steve Bloom