[greenyes] Fwd: Green Hotels and Green Meetings Workshop 4/14 Boston

Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 16:44:51 -0500
From: Betsy Boyle <boyle@no.address>
We are pleased to announce a special program on green hotels and meetings that will be presented on April 14th as a pre-conference workshop at the CERES 2004 Conference: Critical Decisions for Lasting Prosperity, to be held this year at the Boston Hyatt Regency.

Green Hotels & Meetings

From 10:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., we hope you will participate in a day-long training program focusing specifically on how you can green your organization's travel and meeting practices. From 10:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. we will present The Green Hotel Initiative: What is it and how can it help you? This session will take a look at the past and future of the GHI, specifically focusing on its key tools, the Guest Request Card and Best Practices Survey. Discussion will center on how these tools can help you and your organization, as well as help create a greener hospitality industry.

Following lunch, from 1:30 - 5:00 p.m. we will present Meet and Green: How to create smarter, greener meetings. Using new tools created by green meetings and environmental experts, this will be a training session specifically focusing on how to plan and execute more sustainable conferences and conventions. We'll showcase efforts to green both large meetings-including work currently underway to green the Democratic National Convention-and small meetings, and offer examples of the roadblocks and successes experienced, as well as the economic incentives realized.

On the evening of April 14th you are also welcome to attend CERES' 15th Anniversary Dinner, featuring a dynamic keynote address by Jeremy Rifkin, author of such bestsellers as The End of Work, The Age of Access, and The Hydrogen Economy.

CERES 2004 Conference: Critical Decisions for Lasting Prosperity

For 15 years, CERES has brought the power of investors, the expertise of environmental groups, and the muscle of labor to create the atmosphere for change while inviting companies to the table to find practical solutions. In the eighties, CERES pioneered the idea of corporate environmental codes. In the nineties, CERES transformed sustainability reporting on a global scale. Over the past year, we've been bringing in new players to the coalition, moving money in new directions. Last November, we brought the heads of major pension funds, representing $1 trillion in assets, to the United Nations to examine the risks of climate change, and they're taking action. We engaged key players on Wall Street to carry the message and raise the questions. We helped corporate board members of major companies to design proactive policies on climate change and understand "sustainable governance".

In addition to attending the pre-conference session, we welcome your participation in the CERES 2004 Conference on April 15th. This day will feature interactive workshops and plenaries focusing on the financial and health risks of major environmental issues and the solutions and strategies to address them. Workshops will examine the role of the SEC, the finance world, and corporate boards, and look at vulnerable industry sectors and implications for those who own and rate them. We will also offer training sessions on sustainability reporting for companies and NGOs. Visit the CERES conference <https://www.ceres.org/conference/2004/2004_program.htm>web site, for details about the conference program and agenda.

Please register now for the Green Hotels and Meetings pre-conference program or the conference workshops in order to take advantage of our early registration rates, which are substantially discounted. These rates are in effect only until February 13th, so register early. CERES also offers group discount rates-if you have colleagues interested in attending any portion of the conference you can sign up together and receive an additional 10% discount. Combined with our early bird rates you can cut a substantial portion off your conference fees! Easy, fast registration is <http://www.ceres.org/conference/2004/>here.

A detailed agenda for the green hotel and meetings program will soon be available on the CERES conference web site. If you have any questions, please email Sarika Sangwan (<mailto:sangwan@no.address>sangwan@no.address) regarding the GHI session, and Betsy Boyle (<mailto:boyle@no.address>boyle@no.address) for the green meetings session.

We hope to see you in April for what promises to be an exciting and informative program.

Gary Liss
916-652-7850
Fax: 916-652-0485