Re: [greenyes] Jewish burial methods
Love this discussion thread.

Thought I'd offer my perspective:  Jewish people customarily bury our dead
in "handmade, simple, perfectly clean, white linen shrouds."  They still do
this in Israel.*  In the U.S., Jews also use unadorned wooden coffins, not
made of metal or anything non-biodegradeble, because according to Genesis
3:19, "For dust you are and to dust you shall return."
An interesting Jewish website adds, "Wood is the only material allowed and
several holes are opened at the bottom to hasten the body's return to the
earth." http://queensvaad.org/chevra/?chevraID=18

There are regulations in the U.S. about encasing caskets in concrete shells,
ostensibly to protect the groundwater.  (This is completely ridiculous
since these shells will eventually crack and allow for
decomposition/leaching of remains into the water table.  It's an
energy-intensive waste, but I suspect it soothes some people who cannot bear
to think of their loved ones "being eaten by worms," as an old professor of
mine once said.)  I think Jewish cemetaries may be exempt from this
regulation, but don't quote me on that.

*Incidentally, in 1982 I wrote a short story called "The Shroud" about my
childhood impressions of an Israeli funeral, and it won 1st place in the
National Scholastic Writing Awards.  Will scan and forward it on request!

Personally, I'd like to be buried in a forest or garden--but not anytime
soon!

--Jenny

Jennifer Gitlitz
Research Director, Container Recycling Institute

Home Office:
2 Pomeroy Ave.
Dalton, MA 01226
Tel. (413) 684-4746
Mobile: (413) 822-0115
Fax: (413) 403-0233
Email: jgitlitz@no.address

Container Recycling Institute headquarters:
1911 N. Ft. Myer Dr. #702
Arlington, VA 22209-1603
Tel. (703) 276-9800
Fax: (703) 276-9587