[greenyes] Seminar leaders present zero waste plan
File:   freepresslogo.zip (25861 bytes) DL Time (46666 bps): < 1 minute
Sent from the Internet (Details)

Story ran : 10/05/2003
Seminar leaders present zero waste plan
By LaToya Mack Staff Writer After turning down the landfill, Greene County
has to find something to do with its trash. A zero waste plan presented by Neil
Seldman, president of the Institute for Local Reliance, and Rick Anthony, of
Richard Anthony Associates, could be the solution the county is looking for.
Officials and environmental activists from across Eastern North Carolina and the
state came to the Clean Communities: Creating Local Strategies for Solid
Waste Reduction seminar, hoping to find environmentally sound ways to cut down on
waste in their counties. While they know they cannot reach 100-percent waste
reduction, Anthony and Seldman presented ways solid waste can be reduced by
finding ways to reuse it. Anthony suggested building a waste reduction plant,
where solid waste can be sold to a company that could use the waste to make
something else. Reusing the waste would keep it from piling up in a landfill and
create economic development by bringing in companies that could use the waste.
Frank Warrren, who opposed the landfill in Greene County, said he believes the
zero waste plan is feasible. It's quite possible, Warren said. The government
officials would be amazed and astonished at some of the things that could be
done. County commissioner James Shackleford said the zero waste plan could be a
way to solve the trash problem. The landfills we had, we had to close, so we
definitely need somewhere for our garbage, Shackleford said. We're not going
to get the landfill now, but we still need somewhere for trash. This is a way
to solve the problem, and it will help economic development because it will
help bring jobs. Seldman said the goal of the seminar was to provide information
about what can be done and channel energy to prevent the build-up of solid
waste. LaToya Mack can be reached at (252) 527-3191, Ext. 273, or
LaToya_Mack@no.address

RichardAnthonyAssociates.com
RicAnthony@no.address
San Diego CA 92109