RE: [greenyes] Portola Valley System
MicroLife USA Inc. has done this type of work for a long time. trash into compost its a great thing. Keith

From: "Eric Lombardi" <eric@no.address>
To: "'Richard Gertman'" <richard@no.address>,<greenyes@no.address>
Subject: RE: [greenyes] Portola Valley System Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 16:54:36 -0600

Richard and others interested in this topic,

I've recently learned about a similar program (MSW co-composting with
biosolids and trash) in Nantucket by a firm called Waste Options.  Does
anyone know this project or this company?

Eric

Eric Lombardi Executive Director Eco-Cycle, Inc Boulder, CO 303-444-6634 www.ecocycle.org

-----Original Message----- From: Richard Gertman [mailto:richard@no.address] Sent: Monday, July 28, 2003 4:22 PM To: greenyes@no.address Subject: [greenyes] Portola Valley System

I believe the quality of the compost from Portola Valley would meet the
concerns raised by Peter Anderson.  First, all of the compost is
marketed,
mostly to local landscapers and nurseries, with only a small residue to
ag
lands.

I have lots of photos from the Z-Best site, the first showing the
process,
the material pre-screening, and post-screening.  I would be willing to
send
them to anyone that is interested, but I understand that I can't post
photos
on GreenYes.

Further, I would say that the Portola Valley system has an advantage
over
the system described by Peter -- Everything is collected in a single
pass
with a single truck, there is no need to run the second truck
once-a-month
to collect the other dry material.

Wouldn't it be fun if people had to pay as much to trash something as
they
did to buy it!  This would certainly encourage better buying habits and
reuse/repair of items.
Richard Gertman
Environmental Planning Consultants
1885 The Alameda, Suite 120