Re: [greenyes] waste-free lunches
Steve,
With all due respect, I think you are mistaken to think that intentional
littering of "biodegradable" lunch packaging would work in the U.S. First of
all, it contradicts a generation of anti-litter messages, which we still
want to encourage.  Secondly,  "biodegradable" is only meaningful in the
right environment: your backyard compost heap or a field with frequent
rainfall, for example, not a city street or a school playground or the floor
of a bus in Anytown, USA.

If we had food waste receptacles placed on every street corner and in every
school--and a mechanism for collecting them and composting them--sure!  But
we don't yet.  It is hard enough to organize and fund collection of "hard"
recyclables with economic value--such as aluminum and paper; doing food and
bio-waste is even harder.  This movement is still in its infancy.

Words like "upcyclable" sound trendy and cool, but the concept needs to be
in line with the context.

--Jenny

On 7/2/03 1:11 PM, Ruszkai, Steve at ruszkai@no.address wrote:

> Ms. Hemmert,
>
> I looked at your website.  This is a start to do less bad for the
> environment, but I don't think you approach is the "best" we can do.  We can
> do better....
>
> William McDonough and Michael Bruangart wrote "Cradle to Cradle" where they
> developed in S.E. Asia food containers made of bio-degadable rice products
> for train commuters who litter during their lunch ride.  They also embedded
> native  seeds in the containers.  Now, they actually encourage people to
> litter their lunch to enrich the environment--turning waste into food for
> others.  This is doing during "good" for the environment, not just "less
> bad" as the approach you describe in the program below.
>
> Don't think recyclable--think upcyclable.  Keep it out of the landfill for
> good.  Read the book (which, by the way, has no wood products in it and it
> total upcyclable--not downcycleable which just slows it's way to the
> landfills.
>
> Think doing good for the environment--not less bad.  Waste is food.  Keep
> technological products separable from biological products and upcycle both
> back to the manufacturer and the earth respectfully.  No more monstrous
> hybrids like those plastic resin lunch containers which can't be upcycled.
> Use biological containers like products out of paper, corn and rice.
>
> This is the only eco-effective way for our future generations of school
> lunch-eaters to not just sustain but to improve our environment.
>
> Steve

--Jenny

Jennifer Gitlitz
Research Director, Container Recycling Institute

Home Office:
2 Pomeroy Ave.
Dalton, MA 01226
Tel. (413) 684-4746
eFax: (928) 833-0460
Email: jgitlitz@no.address

Container Recycling Institute headquarters:
1911 N. Ft. Myer Dr. #702
Arlington, VA 22209-1603
Tel. (703) 276-9800
Fax: (703) 276-9587