Re: [greenyes] Re: recycling?

This is not unusual, unfortunately - we have apologists for incineration here too!
Analyse their motivation:
Keep "anything" tidy associations certainly in South Africa, are usually run by what i
call litter activists - who do not generally understand life cycle issues, and are driven
by public relations more than anything else.... and never seem to criticise corporate
behaviour!
I will not attribute motivation to the EPA type person - there are reactionaries in ALL
environmental departments in all countries.
The waste companies support incineration, as this will mean that they do not have to
pay for expensive landfill sites, as land is getting more and more expensive, I am
sure, in all the world...

maybe it is worth "attacking back" by saying that incineration liberates dioxins and
furans (POP's) and as these are pollutants that are key in the Stockholm Convention,
we have an international responsibility to phase out and eventually halt, production of
these POP's - the fact that these are bio-accumulative, hormone disruptors,
carcinogenic, etc etc etc would just be the first volley....

(listen to me use war analogies!)

also: we should be designing waste out of the system BEFORE it needs recycling -
basic Zero Waste principles... I have a great pic in my head - a person labelled
"recycling" is hanging on by their fingertips on a cliff, and the fall would be to a landfill!

regards
Muna