From: Pat Franklin [mailto:pfranklin@no.address]
Sent: Thursday, February 20, 2003 8:35 PM
To: Heidi Swets; greenyes listserve
Subject: RE: [greenyes] alternative uses for glass

I've received quite a few emails from folks who say the glass they
collect
in their curbside program and/or in dropoff programs is NOT being used
make new containers.

My question to those of you out there who are involved in collecting or
processing glass bottles that are recycled through deposit systems in 10
states is this.....what is happening to those glass bottles?  Are they,
too
being relegated to the landfill?  My understanding is that bottle bill
materials, including glass, is of a high quality -- no contamination and
for
the most part is color sorted.

Can anyone out there on greenyes speak to this issue? Thanks!

Patricia Franklin
Executive Director
Container Recycling Institute
1911 N. Fort Myer Drive, Ste. 702