RE: [GreenYes] Garbage/recycling alternate pickups:Smellygarbagecans a thing of the past when you d
Health Department rules can be changed!  If it makes sense for your
community consider a pilot that involves the Health Dept.  Olympia, Wa
has eow garbage, approved by their Health Department!

>>> <Katherine.Murray@no.address> 01/29/03 06:43AM >>>
TX Health Department rules require that we pick up garbage weekly.
Austin
might consider every-other-week recycling, but not EOW garbage.

Katherine J. Murray
Waste Diversion Planner
City of Austin Solid Waste Services
(512) 974-9043
fx (512) 974-9048

-----Original Message-----
From:    Mary Appelhof [SMTP:mappelho@no.address]
Sent:    Tuesday, January 28, 2003 5:36 PM
To:    greenyes@no.address
Subject:    [GreenYes] Garbage/recycling alternate pickups:Smelly
garbage cans a thing of the past when you do worm composting

Kim Springer said, "If I forget to put my garbage out, then the
collection crew usually comes
into my yard to get my can.  They are not obligated to do so, but I
suspect
that they prefer to collect it on a weekly basis due to the smell cause
by
the breakdown of the contents of most garbage cans.  A week later, the
same
  can could be pretty smelly."

I gave up smelly garbage cans when I started composting my garbage
with worms over 30 years ago. Keeping the organics out of the waste
stream keeps recyclables cleaner and trash free of offensive odors. A
decade-old survey in Seattle reported over 4000 worm bins in Seattle.
Vancouver distributes worm bins regularly to their citizens. Their
surveys show that people who have worm bins are more conscious about
the wastes they produce and pay more attention to the recycling they
do, ultimately producing less trash.  Visibility and media coverage
that the vermicomposting program provides brings in many people who
would not learn about the recycling programs otherwise.

Mary Appelhof
--
PS We have a delightful children's color picture book, "Compost, By
Gosh!" by Michelle Eva Portman. I've had a wonderful time reading it

Mary Appelhof, Author of "Worms Eat My Garbage"
Flowerfield Enterprises,10332 Shaver Road,Kalamazoo, MI 49024 USA
PLEASE NOTE NEW AREA CODE: PH:269-327-0108  FAX 269-327-7009

"Changing the way the world thinks about garbage"

New issue of WormEzine is out! Subscribe at: http://www.wormwoman.com