Re: [GreenYes] Used building materials resale operations
Pat -

Ten years of living in urban San Francisco may have colored my sense of
"rural" but the folks at the Monterey Regional Waste Management District in
Marina, CA run an excellent resale operation (the Last Chance Mercantile) at
the Monterey Peninsula Landfill. The MRWMD number is 831-384-5313. The
Sonoma County Central Landfill also has an excellent operation
(RecycleTown), though again, I don't know if this fits your concept of
"rural".

My understanding is that Nantucket, MA also has an excellent salvage
program, though I don't think they necessarily focus on building materials.
Here in truly rural Nevada County we've been discussing the idea of a
landfill salvage/reuse operation, so I'd be curious if you come across any
secrets to making them work. I'm sure folks like Dan Knapp and Pavitra
Crimmel know more about this than most, but I wonder if population density
is really the key factor? Salvaging reusable materials/items is just a good
idea, and good ideas certainly aren't limited to urban areas...

--
Matthew Cotton
Integrated Waste Management Consulting