[GreenYes] Request for comment - electronics recycling spec
Title: Request for comment - electronics recycling spec

I am hoping for help from list members in development of a specification for electronics recycling services.
What follows is a first draft a King County specification for such, which we hope to advertise to bidders, soon.
If you see anything missing, superfluous, wrongheaded, or otherwise lacking, please reply with these ideas.

Please be aware that this is a specification for use in a bidding process in which the award will be made to the lowest resposive and responsible bidder.  As such, there are no provisions for giving "preference points," as might be found in an RFP (Request For Proposal) process.

In this, ITB ("Invitation  To Bid"), process, we must state plainly what we want, and award to the lowest bidder.  In an RFP, we can say "We want to help mother nature.  Tell us why we should hire you to help us do this."  In an ITB, we need to tell the bidder exactly what we want them to do. There is no provision in statute for inclusion of "desirables" or "points" in ITB processes.

Thank you very much,
eric

Recycling Service Requirements

Monitors, CRT's, and Televisions: Vendor shall remove plastic housings, segregate CRTs for further processing, crush the remaining electronic components (metals, copper yokes, copper wire, and circuit boards), remove metals from CRTs, crush them, and ship the glass to a glass-to-glass recycling facility, lead smelter, or local glass recycler, depending on lead content and facility acceptance policy.

Other Electronic Equipments (CPU's, circuit boards, power supplies, laptop computers, peripherals, VCRs, cables, etc.):  Vendor shall sort these items by type and market them to appropriate markets: metals to local scrap markets, plastics with monitor plastics, circuit boards to metal refiners.  Vendor shall disassemble items with no residual value, separate the materials, consolidate them and direct them to appropriate markets: metals to local scrap markets, plastics with monitor plastics, circuit boards to metal refiners.

Batteries:  Vendor shall remove batteries from equipment, consolidate them, and ship them to a permitted battery recycling facility.

General Provisions:
Vendor shall not burn or incinerate or use chemical processes, unless the facility is specifically permitted for doing so with adequate environmental and health protections (for example, is a licensed Treatment, Storage & Disposal facility holding a RCRA permit; is a glass manufacturer).

Vendor shall not maintain outdoor piles of dismantled equipment or parts, unless secondary containment is provided to prevent dust or runoff to drains.

Vendor shall specify which, if any, materials will be allowed to be disposed as trash or in drains

Regulatory Compliance:
Vendor shall demonstrate compliance with all Federal, State, and Local regulations, and shall handle Dangerous Wastes in compliance with WAC 173-303, regardless of whether the processing location is in Washington state.

Vendor shall have no outstanding Notices of Violation for Occupational Health & Safety or Environmental Agencies with jurisdiction.

Documentation of transporters and destinations:
Vendor shall list each facility and transporter to be used in fulfilling this contract, and identify the owner and operator of each, and shall identify each subcontractor to be used in fulfilling this contract, and, for each contractor and sub-contractor, shall provide a contact person, phone number, and site address.

Documentation of Services
Vendor shall:
·       Accept and transport each shipment on a unique Bill of Lading.
·       Cite Bill of Lading numbers on invoices.
·       Provide a final Bill of Lading, complete with attached Certificate of Recycling and invoices.
·       Provide documentation to show where and when each unit or batch is processed and by what procedure, and identify the recycling process (e.g. " lead smelter," or "glass furnace") and name the processors or subcontractors used.

·       Provide records/certificates of recycling and disposal containing this information for each unit or batch.
·       Provide a written hazard communication plan and safety training records for employees, at  the request of the County.

·       Provide access to facilities, for inspection, during operations, at the request of the County

Transportation:
Vendor shall provide transportation on a standard, per trip basis.
Vendor shall invoice individual King County agencies or locations as required.
Transportation of equipment may be done by King County Agency personnel, Vendor, or 3rd party transporters, at King County discretion.

Pricing:
Vendor shall provide
        pricing per unit for CRTs,
        pricing per pound for batteries
        pricing per pound for other electronic equipment