Re: [GreenYes] indoor composting
Nicky,

I am not convinced you can compost even as much material in the same space
as vermicomposting, to say nothing of more.

By space I mean floor space, surface area, square feet, or acres, eh?

Yes, you have to put small layers of materials on a vermicomposting flow
through system to avoid overheating---but you can do that and harvest every
day or so.

Pre-composting has its place, no doubt about that, especially where weed
seed control is needed. Some researchers here in Quebec actually found
pre-composting certain animal manures killed off a nematode that parasitizes
compost worms themselves, which is, they claimed, a good thing, but...

Notwithstanding the current FMD-phobia in the UK, I doubt that the hot phase
of composting some claim is so crucial, is in fact going to be as effective
as a fully functional complex foodweb of the kind found in rich soil,
mesophilic composts and vermicomposts in fighting various diseases and pest
problems, once the science is fully fleshed out.

Nor is weed seed control a universal good. For pasture purposes, for
example, a composting method that destroys pathogens while leaving seeds
viable is good to replenish seed supplies on pasture soils, especially where
the pastures are managed intensively and never allowed to set seed. Lots of
grass, clover and useful forb seed that would be destroyed in hot composting
can play a very useful role in this context.

Anyway, fast vermicomposting is possible and makes a higher throughput per
unit area, if proper feedstocks and other conditions are met, a reality
compared to conventional composting. Add that to the potential premium for
worm castings in the marketplace, and you may have a winning alternative to
regular composting.

For home and small business scale vermicomposting I doubt seriously if you
can find a better system than something like the Worm Wigwam:

http://www.niehs.nih.gov/kids/worm2.htm

If you have a small composting system that takes up less or the same space
and can handle the same amount of materials I would sure like to see it!

Frank Teuton