RE: [GreenYes] indoor composting
Of course vermicomposting can deal with large amounts, but the space needed
will be larger than composting.  Worms cannot start eating kitchen scaps
until they have started to break down.  Vermicomposting systems on any scale
tend to hot compost the material first before feeding to the worms.  If you
try and put quantities of putrescible food waste into a worm bin it will
heat up - which the worms can't stand and they will migrate away from the
heat.  A system I saw recently in Scotland shredded kitchen waste and
cardboard in a vermitech shredder.  This was then put in a 'Big Hanna' in
vessel composter to be thermophillically (hot) composted then spread out in
a layer on a Vermitech worm bed which is basically a giant sieve in a
container with a hydraulic ram to agitate and release finished worm casts
from the bottom from time to time as the level builds.

Another inside system which I have just attended a workshop on at our annual
community composting conference is the EM Bokashi method.  This involves
sprinkling small amounts of bran which have been innoculated with beneficial
micro-organisms onto your food waste scraps into a bucket with a tightly
fitting lid.  (Its an anaerobic system similar to making sauerkraut etc)
The bucket has holes in the bottom and fits snugly into another bucket.  The
liquid can be watered down (rainwater) to feed to plants - add to drains -
even fish tanks!  It has to be watered down at least 100 to 1 (for fish 500
-1).  you can get more info on this from www.livingsoil.co.uk
As with sauerkraut making a plate can be fitted into the bucket with a
weight on to expell air.  When the bucket is full another is started and
when that one is full the first one can be emptied.  As this is a
fermentation not a putrefaction process there are no unpleasant smells - its
the kind of smell you get from brewing or sour dough bread making.  The
resultant material can be buried in the garden to improve soil directly or
incorporated in a compost heap where it is apparently not sought out by rats
etc - .  I'm not sure whether worms go for it - probably!
The bokashi can also be used in dry toilet systems.

Another system being pioneered in Germany consists of also using
micro-organisms.  This involves a building looking just like a car garage.
The food waste is piled up in quantity - innoculated throughout in layers
(like the Bokashi) and the door sealed.  A clean methane gas is produced
which doesn't have the corrosive gases as with landfill gas.  This system is
being planned in some innovative work being done in the London Borough of
Southwark which has huge high rise estates and few gardens.  I'm trying to
track down a website for more info for you on this.

I think the micro-organism developments are fascinating but I have no
practical experience of them - yet!  I've just set up my bucket system this
morning!
We have a major problem in the UK following the Foot and Mouth crisis and it
looks like all food waste will have to be 'sanitised' ie go through a
covered or in vessel composting system with a guaranteed temperature of 60
(or even 70) degrees celsius for a minimum of one hour.  Furthermore there
must be no possibility of bypass of the system and completelt clean and
seperate areas for finished compost and incoming feedstocks.  The resultant
compost will also be prohibited for use on grazing land.  We have some tough
problems to work out here with the Animal by-products order still in place.
It may be that the government's cheif vet tells us that it all will have to
go to landfill - which would be a disaster for us - and the planet!
Nicky Scott
Chair of community composting network UK