[GreenYes] Re: Alternatives for recovery of cooking oil
Aloha John,

Here on Maui, we are fortunate to have a manufacturer of quality
biodiesel fuel from waste cooking oil (FOG).

See the details at

Pacific Biodiesel ( makes a fine fuel that we have
used in our car, a 2001 VW New Beetle diesel (since new) for over
18,000 problem free miles. BTW, we get 40 fossil free miles to the
gallon. Our friend Shaun has driven his 2000 VW Golf over 35,000 miles
on B100 as well. We fuel our two International multi compartment trucks
on B100, too.

See the details at

We are a five person company who hauls recyclables on Maui and believes
in "walking the talk."

There is also a great forum that Maui Green co-sponsors with Joshua
Tickell, the author of "From the Fryer to the Fuel Tank" that you may
want to check out:

Is there much waste oil on the mainland that actually gets landfilled?
My understanding is that most of the waste oil gets bought by animal
feed manufacturers.

And, thanks for asking about biodiesel :)

Bob Armantrout
Maui Recycling Service

Does anyone know of a report that looks at some alternatives for the
recovery of cooking oil (such as the oil used to cook french fries at
food restaurants)?

I am looking for both the technological alternatives -- rendering,
bio-diesel fuel, etc -- as well as a discussion of the environmental
of the alternatives.

Thanks much,

John Reindl, Recycling Manager
Dane County, WI

Do You Yahoo!?
To post to the greenyes list,
email to:

subscription, faq and netiquette info for
this list are available here:
pages before posting.