RE: [GreenYes] Producer Responsibility & Consumer Costs

Pat, John and everyone...

----- Part of Original Message -----
"....consumers are taxpayers....Consumer/ taxpayers are currently paying
the cost of disposal/recycling/reuse -- through our garbage bills and
through the taxes we pay....
We simply need to realize that the consumer will be paying the costs of
disposal/recycling/reuse one way or another.  I'd like to know which way
is best and which way is cheapest...."
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Consumer/taxpayer is basically everyone so let's drop the overuse of
these two words.  Best and cheapest are what concern me the most.
Producers will use any fees assessed to increase profits under the
disguise of helping the environment.
Waste haulers will also price gouge the consumer with exorbitant curbside
fees.  Do you remember the last time you called to have a mattress or
boxspring
disposed of?  Did they charge $30 or more?  Lastly we can not count on
the landfills as they tend to be owned by the haulers.

There need to be several different methods used to assure that products
are manufactured with environmental responsibility and several
reuse/disposal options available when the consumer wants to get rid of an
item.  The consuming public is not willing to pay $25-30 to discard a
5 year old computer monitor.  If that is the best($ costs) elected
leaders and
environmental staff members can come up with, then the vacant lots, rural
ditches and commercial dumpsters will continue to be used by consumers
unwilling to pay more.

I do not have the answers to this complex problem, but I know this--
"best and cheapest will not solve our environmental problems."

Regards, C. William